Monday 7 February 2011

In praise of Germolene!




As you already know, my loves, I am what can only be described as a large lady ~ well, let's be frank I am an extremely large lady! As such, from time-to-time I suffer with sore areas of skin which tends to be worse in the hotter summer months. Recently I have had another bout of sore skin flare-ups, which I think have been triggered by the hot flushes I seem to be getting more frequently as time goes by *sigh* So out came my usual remedy ~ Savlon cream. This time, though, it just wasn't making any difference so I turned to plan B ~ Sudocrem. This is much thicker and stickier than Savlon and usually does the trick when the latter fails. But no, even my trusty Sudocrem let me down and I just seemed to be getting more and more sore.
I was fast approaching the point where I thought perhaps I should go and see my GP when I suddenly remembered Germolene. Do any of you remember this stuff, sweetie~pies? When I was a child it was the antiseptic cream of choice, it seemed! I recall that it came in a round tin, had an extremely strong smell ~ you know, the sort of aroma which made you think that it must surely be good stuff! ~ and was the most lurid shade of pink :-D
So in a last-ditch effort to stave off the somewhat embarrasing visit to my GP, I bought some to try. These days it comes in a tube, my loves, the smell doesn't seem quite as pungent as I recall from my childhood and it is now a rather pretty shade of pink LOL And, joy of joys, it has worked ~ in only a matter of a couple of days, my sore patches have all but disappeared! My skin felt soothed as soon as I somewhat gingerly spread the Germolene over and the scent was strangely reassuring.



Don't you just love it when something is every bit as good as you remember from your childhood ;-)

2 comments:

Jenna said...

Thank You Sharon, it's nice to have met you as well... :o)

Sharon said...

I've never heard of it. Seems nothing is as good as childhood, from Miracle Whip to Heinz Ketchup, even the Hershey bars are thinner.

Glad this stuff works, I fight that fun battle myself!