Saturday 10 March 2012

A Monthly Make for 2012: March


My March Monthly Make for 2012 is knitted and crocheted dishcloths, sweetie~pies.

I was rummaging through my stash of yarn when I came across some part-used balls of James C. Brett Kool Kotton, and as soon as I touched it the idea popped into my head to make some dishcloths.  It is 50% cotton and 50% acrylic but it feels just like cotton.  I know that dishcloths are usually made with a cotton yarn but I am sure this will be fine :-)


I must admit that I prefer the crocheted dishcloths, to be honest.  They came out larger than the knitted ones and I like the texture better, although the moss stitch knitted cloth (in the top photo) is nice too and I would be happy to make more like it, just increasing the size a little. 

The crocheted ones were made using little oddments which is why they are not the most attractive looking dishcloths in the world.  But I still think they are prettier than bought ones ;-)  Both cloths have the first and last rows crocheted in double-crochet.  I made one in trebles throughout and the other in alternating rows of treble and half-treble.  One knitted cloth was made in moss stitch throughout and the other in stocking stitch, with a garter stitch border all round. 

As you can see, I didn't bother with blocking any of the dishcloths ~ it seemed a wee bit of a pointless exercise to be honest, my loves.....or perhaps I'm just lazy LOL  I still have some of this yarn left so will use it to make more cloths.  They are only about 8"-9" square so make lovely quick little projects and would be ideal for trying out new stitches, both knitted and crocheted :-)      

No comments: