Monday 21 September 2015

Dieting diary: getting back on track!

start date: 21st September 2015
start weight: 23st 11.5lbs (333.5 pounds)
current weight: 
total loss to date:
1st interim goal: 21st 7lbs (301 pounds)
date achieved: 

Yes, you are seeing correctly ~ I am back to following a diet plan.  Over the last nine or ten months, I have gained over 14 pounds and am the heaviest I have ever been in my life ~ I currently weigh nearly five stone more than I did at the end of my pregnancy with the gruesome-twosome!

I am really feeling the strain of carrying so much excess weight; my feet, ankles, knees and hips all ache terribly (as does my poor back) and I know that if I don't do something now, then I am on a fast track to damaging those joints irreparably.  I am also quite breathless when I walk far or go up the stairs.  I think I am slowly killing myself ~ one excess pound at a time...

So, commonsense has at last prevailed and I have today embarked on what I hope will be the last diet I ever undertake.  I am going back onto the Slimming World plan, a plan which I know gives good results and is simple to fit into my life ~ and one which can easily be followed for a lifetime as it is all about balanced, healthy eating.  There is nothing gimmicky about the plan, no foods are "forbidden" ~ but one does have to make sensible decisions about the food one is consuming.  In other words, it is up to me as the consumer to decide whether eating a whole packet of biscuits is going to be good for my health or not!

Since I have such a huge amount of weight to lose overall, I have decided to break it down into smaller interim goals.  Basically, I am aiming to lose 10% of my body weight at a time, and I am not going to give myself a definitive date to lose each chunk by.  To be honest, if I am to lose this excess weight at a nice, steady and sensible pace, I believe that it will most likely take me a good 2 1/2 to 3 years to get to my ultimate goal.  And right at this moment, I don't even know that that "ultimate" goal will be!  I do know that I would definitely like to get down to no more than 12st (168 pounds), which is what I weighed when Adrian and I first started living together.  I was still overweight even then, according to "healthy weight charts" ~ they show a range between 8st 12lbs (124 pounds) and 11st (154 pounds) ~ but it gives me a rough, ultimate, weight to be aiming for!

In the meantime, my first interim goal is 21st 7lbs (301 pounds) so let's see how long it takes to get there :-)

No comments: