Thursday 17 September 2015

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness...


I took this photo a few days back, the first proper misty autumn day so far.  I love how soft the mist makes everything appear ~ something which is very appealing when one lives in a busy suburban environment.  Spring and autumn are my favourite months ~ I find that summer can be too hot and humid, winter too cold and dark. 

You would never guess that the London to Cambridge railway line is just behind those trees, in the not-so-far distance.  I wonder if Network Rail will be cutting everything back soon.....they don't usually leave it to get too overgrown; it looks terribly stark when they have finished.  My Dad says that it's to make sure nothing gets tangled up in the overhead power lines.  The railway line is up on an embankment and although there are a handful of houses between our's and the line, it feels as if one could lean out of our back bedroom window and touch a train as it passes.  I'm pretty sure that the folk who live in the flats which were built up against the embankment very nearly could!

We have had a cute visitor to our garden this week, a young grey squirrel.  I know, I know ~ the greys are interlopers, pushing out our native reds, but even so it is still rather lovely to watch the little creature.  It's been many years since I have seen a squirrel in our garden.  After it had had its fill from the bird-feeders it went off in the direction of the railway line ~ perhaps it lives in the trees on the embankment.  I hope it visits again :-)

No comments: